Thursday 2 January 2014

First Leg Session of the New Year! :)

So today I am training legs, I spent all day yesterday (my rest day) just thinking about my routine for today! I got in my 6 meals yesterday in preparation to have the energy for what will be a brutal training session today.

I'll give a quick run down on what I will do today. I train at the Defence gym we have on base which is well equipped and not as packed as all the other gyms out there. I always start off my leg day with a lot of stretching and foam rolling before I start my squats, my first exercise is Back Squats. I will do my warm up set @ 60kg (132pounds) for about 15 reps to get the range of motion and form all sorted. My next working set is 10-12 reps @ 90kg (200pounds) 3rd set I will knock out 8 reps @ 110kg (240pounds) I will then have another stretch and give my quads and hamstrings a roll out on the foam roller. Next set is 6 reps @ 130kg (286pounds) and then I will aim for 2-3 reps @ 140kg (310pounds) From there I will drop the weight back to 100kg and do another 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps and totally exhaust my quads, as I use this as the main heavy lifting compound movement for my workout.

With that done I move on to Hamstrings, which I do dumbbell stiff leg dead lifts to target my hamstrings, there is no need to go to heavy so I will only go up to about 40kg (90pounds) for 4 sets of 10-12 reps. As I hobble away from that exercise I then will jump on the leg press machine where I will do leg press, super setted with calf raises. I focus on doing this exercise nice and slow to let it really engage all muscles in my leg, and I will also vary my foot position to pre load different heads of my quads with more stress and engage them a lot better!

Next, the Standing Leg curl targeting Hamstrings again and somewhat engaging the glutes. I incorporate many Hamstring exercises as my Hamstrings are what I would call the weak point on my physique, so I always make sure they leave the gym screaming!! I will knock out 4 sets @ 10-12 reps and do body weight sissy squats in between sets to hit the inner thigh/quad.

Next.........everyone's favourite.........Lunges.......... This is where you are already in a state of near total exhaustion from such an intense session, and this will either push you over the edge or if you approach it with a good attitude you know that you will be leaving the gym a broken man, but waking up the next day a happy man for doing it!! I will do 2 laps back and forth of a full size basketball court with a 50kg (110pound) barbell for 4 sets. This is the perfect way to end your leg session.

Once you manage to waddle back and put your weights away having  a good stretch is recommended. Saying that, once I'm done my workout today, I will be getting on the StairMaster for a 30min cardio hit, I will do this only about 3-4 times a week to keep my body fat low so I can still put some lean mass on over the next few months without gaining unwanted body fat!

With all that said, it's T-minus 30min until I hit the gym, so time to get ready and make up my pre and post workout shakes and I'm outta here!

It's all about the pump! (and the delayed muscle soreness I will get in about 2 days) :P

No comments:

Post a Comment